Board of Directors

Regular Meeting -- April 13, 2003

The Board of Directors held its regular quarterly meeting at 2007 Bert Avenue, Austin, TX 78704, starting at 2:10 pm. The following directors (constituting a quorum of the full board) were present at the meeting: Matthew Riley (President), Oceanna (Vice President), Tommie Reeves (Treasurer), Doug Mullins, and Miles Lewis. The following director was absent: Owen McAleer. Robert McGarey (Executive Director) and Marcus Barnes were also present at the meeting.

Approval of Minutes

Since we haven't yet elected a secretary, Doug agreed to keep the minutes for this meeting. The need for a permanent secretary was discussed and tabled until the next meeting. Matthew moved, Oceanna seconded, and it was unanimously

RESOLVED, that future board meetings be conducted on the Second Sunday of each month.

Repair and Maintenance Committee Report

Marcus is taking care of loose ends until the next major repairs begin. Actions taken in the past include: checked electrical at cottage, stovepipe, and quoted price for practitioner room remodel. Expenses for remodel with be approximately $300 for floor, ceiling, and sheet rock. There was discussion about other sources for materials, especially the Habitat for Humanity Re-store. Marcus will go with Pam to check to see if they have enough material of a single pattern.

Plumbing for gas completed. Plumber kept cost down by charging only for materials. Cost was $1000.00, $500.00 donated by Marcus. Plumber was Magna Plumbing - Steve Hanson. Board will send Thank you card. Water heater is metered. Water heater re-vented to meet code. Received new stove from American Home Shield, and the dishwasher was repaired by them. Sterling and Lynne installed wheelchair door. Bath drain needs work in near future. Rotor Rooter cost approximately $200. New sewer pipes will be needed in future. Phone installation is almost completed. Practitioner room 1 & 2 had carpet pulled up and removed mold; bleached and cleaned floors.

The Board thanked Marcus for all his work. Oceanna asked if he could prepare a written report, and Marcus agreed.

Executive Director's Report

Concerns. Bob shared several concerns:

1) The calendar is not getting out in time. The Board suggested that we might be able to provide financial incentives to help correct this problem.

2) Telephone response time is very slow. We get 8-10 messages a day, and a total of 15 calls a day, but it is difficult for Bob to find time to respond to them, and that creates frustration among those who leave messages. Bob thinks some people just eventually give up and go elsewhere. The Board suggested that Bob check on possibility of getting phone message through email.

3) The center incurs more expenses than income. Short $50 for the mortgage this month. Need fundraising. We spent $1,300 for zoning work (the zoning is expected for completion by end of June).

Bob highlighted the need to develop more financial cushion. Income streams such as practitioner-massage room, personal growth sessions, membership drive. We need to bring in more workshops and rent space. Other ideas discussed were: bake sales at video show and other events. Having a garage sale, Have book sale, jewelry sales, art sales, silent auctions.

Finance Committee Report

Tommie is impressed with our money management in light of minimal cash flow right now. She expressed concern about selling to the same people every time. Finance committee is meeting once a month. She needs a chairperson for committee. Christine and Bobbie were mentioned. Decision made to have interim fundraiser until other plans. Planning begins for garage sale.

New Business

Committees. Miles agreed to work with volunteers at center. Miles coordinates volunteers at job with Texas State Library. Tommie volunteered to head fundraising committee. Miles and Oceanna volunteered to help.

Since there was no further business, the meeting adjourned at around 5 pm.