Board of Directors

Regular Meeting -- June 8, 2003

The Board of Directors held its regular meeting at 2007 Bert Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78704, starting at 1:45pm. The following directors (constituting a quorum of the full board) were present at the meeting: President Matthew Riley, Treasurer Tommie Reeves, Doug Mullins, Owen McAleer, and Oceanna. Executive Director Bob McGarey, guest Louise Morell were also present. Board Member Miles Lewis was absent.

Approval of Minutes

Minutes of the previous meeting (May 18, 2003) were handed out and approved with the minor changes to the format made by Bob McGarey.

President's Report.

Matthew reported on his visit with Jim Brattenberg about helping the Center with the marketing functions. Matthew felt that Jim was on the same wavelength as most of the members of the Center. Matthew will continue his recruiting efforts.

Executive Director's Report.

Zoning. Bob reported that on May 20th our plan for rezoning to Limited Office (LO) was approved by the Zoning Commission hearing. Next, our case will be on the agenda for the City Council meeting on June 12, which should result in an approval. After that we will need a survey and a site plan. All this needs to be done prior to obtaining our certificate of occupancy. Bob estimated we would receive our certificate of occupancy in approximately one year from now.

Finances. Regarding finances, Bob mentioned that summer is a slow time for income both at the Center and at Bingo. The members' garage sale netted around $300. Our bill to the zoning consultant is $2800 and we must pay if off because she charges 5% per month on any unpaid balance, which is 60% per annum.

Art Exhibitions. It was decided in committee that we would have three artists at a time exhibiting their art at the Center for a fee. The fee will be $75 per 3 months or 10% of any sales they make, whichever is larger.

Repairs. The repair committee is working on getting the practitioner's rooms ready, but as of now they are not done. Other repairs such as the air conditioning will be postponed until next year. This summer we will have to get by on room air conditioners.

New Business

Fund Raising Committee. Bob requested that Matthew appoint a chair of the Fund Raising Committee. The idea of the fund raising committee was discussed. Owen and Doug agreed to be members of the committee, but neither agreed to be chair. During the discussion Doug agreed to research the possibility of a grant proposal for the Meadows Foundation. He mentioned that to do a proposal we would need financial statements. Matthew suggested calling state vendors with grant writers on the payroll to help get money for repairs. Bob suggested Owen meet with Miles to discuss volunteer recruitment in areas where we need help.

Meeting adjourned at 2:45 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Owen McAleer, Secretary, June 11, 2003.